PARTICLE is involved in the deployment of the highest density sensor network dedicated to monitor seismic activity in Portugal. The network will be constituted by hundreds of sensors in the region of Évora. It will monitor strong seismic activity in real-time, allowing the generation of live shake maps. Importantly, the network is expected to: Enhance the knowledge on the characterisation of the seismic activity in the region through high-resolution mapping of clusters and faults; 2) Create an organised database populated with live data from the high-density seismic network; 3) Rapid assess ground shaking movements (e.g., earthquake); 4) Improve geohazard assessments.
During 2020 and 2021, the sensor network will be deployed across urban and rural environments to collect and integrate seismic data.
The network can be extended to support the collection of environmental data, such as air quality, noise levels and weather) and surface motion. It has the potential to early detect and identify precursor signals of potential environmental incidents (fire, floods, severe weather, pollutant leakage, air contamination).
- Manso, M., Bezzeghoud, M., Borges, J. et al. High-density seismic network for monitoring Alentejo region (Portugal) and Mitidja basin region (Algeria). Arab J Geosci 13, 976 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-020-05972-w.
- Marco Manso, Mourad Bezzeghoud, José Borges, Bento Caldeira, João Fontiela, Abdelhakim Ayadi.High-Density Seismic Network for monitoring Alentejo region (Portugal) and Mitidja basin region (Algeria). 2nd Conference of the Arabian Journal of Geosciences (CAJG). Sousse, Tunisia 25-28 November 2019.
- Comunicações Geologicas. 2016.Contributor with article “Design and Implementation of a Network Enabled High-Throughput MEMs-based Seismic Sensor”. Comunicações Geológicas (2016) 103, 1, 107-111 ISSN: 0873-948X; e-ISSN: 1647-581X. http://www.lneg.pt/iedt/unidades/16/paginas/26/30/90
- Manso M., Bezzeghoud M. and Caldeira B. Design and Evaluation of a High Throughput Seismic Sensor Network. Tools for Planning, Deployment and Assessment. 6th International Conference on Sensor Networks SENSORNETS, Porto, Portugal, 19 to 21 February 2017.
- Manso M., Bezzeghoud M., and Caldeira, B. 2016. Design and Implementation of a Network Enabled High-Throughput MEMs-based Seismic Sensor. Workshop On Earth Sciences. Évora, Portugal, 8th to 10th December 2016.
- Manso M., Bezzeghoud, M., Borges, J. and Caldeira, B. Low-Power Low-Cost Sensor Platform for Seismic and Environmental Monitoring. 9th Spanish-Portuguese Assembly of Geodesy and Geophysics, Madrid, Spain, 28th to 30th June 2016.